Thursday, February 28, 2008

Ray of Light

Other than some scattered clouds, the weather has been amazing lately. The sun has been shining and I haven't had to wear 6 layers of clothing to go outside. The center has been covered with people shopping and sitting outside at cafe. There are only a few more days left before Baba Marta Day. This is celebrated on March 1, as the coming of spring. Before this day you buy red and white bracelets for your friends and family and give them out wishing everyone good luck and health and the person receiving them makes a wish when the bracelet is being tied on. The bracelets are worn until you see a stork and then they are tied to a fruit bearing tree. I'm excited for this holiday and look forward to seeing my friends in town to exchange these bracelets called Martanitzi. I have bought at least 20-25 with all different types of charms and designs.
My work situation and secondary projects have been keeping me super busy lately. This week I have had at least 3-6 meetings every day. I have begun a project with a teacher from one of the local high schools and her students. The project will focus on Environmental Education and activities to get the students more interested in the topic. This will include several hikes and camping trips in the mountains, and presentations about Environmental issues, sustainability and human impact. Before I decide on the topics of the presentations and the specific activities I will submit a survey to the students and the teachers of the local schools to get a better idea of what their interests are and the best resources to make the educational process more fun. I will also submit a survey to the leaders of the Municipality in order to understand how Environmental Education is supported throughout the town. In addition to this, my new boss has me working on one of two new websites for his organization. Today he handed me a plan for now until September of the projects he wants me to be working on with him. I was in shock. I figured that I would be pestering him for projects and tasks. I cant wait............most of this includes working with the eco trails, composting and local organizations who want to make a connection with the tourism center. Outside of my main organization, I have several other projects in the works. The gallery project is under way now that we have a Go! by the mayor. Tomorrow I will be speaking with several art teachers about choosing students for the gallery opening. I have also been asked to submit some art work. I may do some poetry and or photography. The local language school has asked the other volunteer and I to help the students put on a large presentation for their end of the year projects. This will be a huge cultural event all about the United States. The students can choose any topic they wish and present it however they wish. I will be organizing a group of students who want to learn a country line dance that will be performed at the large cultural day. We are inviting their parents, members of the municipality and a member of the US embassy. I have started an informal English group so that the local community who speaks English can practice their language skills outside of a classroom. I have had a very good response so far.
Outside of work I have managed to take part in a Bulgarian dance group and a rock climbing club. The young man who invited me to climb with him is a European Champion. He has been unable to gain support from our municipality for his competitions, so I am helping him to put together a resume and letter for climbing companies and organizations that might be willing to sponsor him and help him pay for his competitions and gear.
Tomorrow I'm traveling to Chirpan to watch another volunteer who has also joined a dance group. I have to give him a lot of credit for doing this. It can be difficult enough going to practice and being the American butchering their time honored dances, but performing in front of your community and media...........that's intimidating. I will be performing on Monday and Wednesday. Monday is the National Holiday. This will celebrate the independence of the Bulgarian People. As far as I have heard this is only a day without work and relaxation. The mayor will make a speech and the military will display their equipment. It is not celebrated in such a active way like our independence day.
Just today I received the keys to my new apartment. The one I have been waiting to be completed for five months. I was told it was completely finished. This isn't totally true. It has electricity and running water but where the Kitchen is supposed to be is not finished and there is not furniture, only an empty room. I was told that the Municipality will give me 500 leva to buy all the things I need. This will not be enough for a fridge, oven, bed and the smaller things I will need. I wasn't totally surprised that even to the very end they would be dragging their feet to try and get out of the agreement with Peace Corps. None the less I have been in my apartment several times today just enjoying the fact that I do have a brand new space all for me........even if I cant move in just yet. So close and almost there!

No comments: