Monday, May 26, 2008

Hanging with the kiddos

On Friday I returned to Karlovo after a five day excursion with twenty-five third graders, all of which were nine or ten years old. The trip was an opportunity for the children to take learning outside of the classroom. We visited history museums, churches, historic monuments and caves. The name of this little excursion translates into Green School. Not only did the students learn about the history and culture of Bulgaria but also its amazing environmental beauty.


I was asked to serve as another shaperone for the students and since I speak English..........it was thought that I could teach the children English while we were traveling around the country. I had prepared flash cards and pictures in English and Bulgarian but the kids were also happy playing 20 questions all day long in order to learn any word they could think of. It was very humorus and I enjoyed every moment of it. I helped them with their English and I had 25 ready and willing Bulgarian language teachers.

At first they didnt seem very interested in me traveling with them. Every now and then they would walk to the front of the bus where I was sitting and ask me a question; "Where are you from?", "How old are you?", "Do you speak Bulgarian?" :) (that one always makes me laugh because I've already answered the first few questions in Bulgarian), "How long have you been in Bulgaria?" ........and so on. This went on just about the entire first day until we got to our hotel and we had more time to joke and have fun. It wasnt long before we were all good friends........But the questions continued :) They wanted to know absolutly everything about the United States and how it was different from Bulgaria. It was difficult conveying to them the size of the US because they wanted a response that pertained to the whole country. They didnt understand how there could be so many differences in one country. I did my best. I did have one student who asked me what life was like in England. I explained I was from the US, and not only is it far from England but also different in many ways. She didnt seem to care much about my explanation.....to her, they were two English speaking countries and basicly one in the same.

There was one student who turned out to be more curious then the others. One day he put his arm around me and asked me with a smile "Are you married?" Not too bad for a nine year old. Every night we had a little disco in the resturant of the hotel.....only problem was all the boys I could dance with were missing fifteen years and three feet. It was fun just goofing around and dancing around with the kids not worring how bad I dance.

The moms and other shaperones were just as interesting. The day was spent with the kids and in the evening the older women and I spent the evening with Bulgarian snacks, Gin and tonics and Music Idol. The questions at this time of day were geared more toward what I was doing before I moved to Bulgaria, my family and my personal life. It was interesting to them that I was twenty three years old, living very far from my parents and without a ring or kids. One had been married since she was 16, but never regreted a moment of it.

Before I left on the trip I began planning an Eco Club for these students. We will play games focused on food chains, have a mask making competition with materials from the outside and recyclables, and also a film and a presentation about the animals in the Balkan Region. I will be getting help from local volunteers in Gabrovo for the presentaions and well........... the crowd control (entertaining 25 youngins is no easy task).

I hope to have the opportunity to work with more youth in the future of my service regarding environmental education in ways such as eco clubs, projects, hikes and outtings.

No comments: