Monday, December 3, 2007

Blogging huh, where do I start?



I'm 23 years old and recently graduated from the University of Cincinnati with a degree in Urban Planning.........but lets flash forward to the last four months. From August - October I was training for the Peace Corps in a small town called Boboshevo, near the western border of Bulgaria. These three months were spent learning the language, culture and integrating into the local culture. I lived with an older woman (baba - bulgarian for grandmother) and spent alot of my time with her two grandchildren. Boboshevo is a very small rural town of about 1,000 people. Life is more relaxed and basic.
For the Next two years I will be living in the city of Karlovo (valley of the roses) in the center of the country, at the base of the Bulkan mountain range. I have lived here for a little over a month working for the Municipality and spending time with local youth organizations. My title is an environmental education volunteer, however my focus is much more broad then this.
The major task of the moment is integration. I think most volunteers at one point or another come to dislike this word, however it is my current goal. Most of my day is spent in an office so when I have the opportunity I like to interact with the local population as they do. Current work and activities include working on a project to find funding for the municipal hospital with the organization Project C.U.R.E . I have also been active on an environmental and sustainability film for my town, to illustrate the efforts made to become more sustainable in this area. Outside of the Municipality I work with the private language school, youth organizations and facilitate English classes. I'm planning on attending lessons with the local folk dancing group.
I will have to say that life has only been interesting......no time to be bored. I have already been back to the states as of late October to visit with my mom who has been dealing with health issues. I was home for two weeks trying to wrap my head around the situation and make my own observations. She is doing better and tells me she is gaining back her energy every day.
I traveled to Sofia on Thursday for medical testing. It was then that I found out that I am in need of minor surgery. This should be taking place in late December or early January. From what I have been told it will most likely take place in Thailand. The other possibility is in Washington D.C. . Either way, not really that excited......even if it does mean I get to travel.
My laundry is soaking and I need to get scrubbing. Thats it for now. Lets see what tomorrow brings. Leka!

What is the most difficult task in the world? To think.
- Emerson

No comments: