Monday, December 10, 2007

Пазаруване Ден - Shopping Day




On most Mondays I have Bulgarian lesson. Today was a little special. I went with my Bulgarian tutor and her colleague to shop for бело, or underwear. In Bulgaria, as in most Northern regions of the world it is very cold in the winter. The women here have found a way to make the body suit (underwear and extra warmth layer) sexy and fashionable. I remember wearing something similar when I was in elementary school. Not as revealing and mostly made of cotton not spandex and lace. The majority of these body suits are g string. I was hoping to find something other then this style. I found a few that were more my style. Somehow the trip was supposed to give me an experience going into a store asking for assistance, the product I wanted and the size I needed. It worked out well for the most part. The majority of shop owners and employees tend to be rude and non responsive. Most of my experience today was not reflective of this.


My cookies went over well. A container full of them was given to the chairman of our municipal council. he was very happy to receive them. This is only the beginning of using baking as an attempt to integrate. Maybe next I'll try out brownies.


Today we have a new assistant in our office. I use this term loosely. By assistant I mean that they dress pretty and sit in our office painting their nails, eyelashes or playing on the computer. They are sweet girls but its difficult to understand why 3 women need to be assisting in an office to one woman and none of them lift a finger 90% of the time.


I was supposed to meet with a woman from a local village who is interested in writing a grant with me for an environmental project she has. She is sick and has not come in, so most of my efforts in the office have been researching EU grants to fund environmental and Eco projects.


Rather then decorating a Christmas tree this year, I plan to decorate the plants i rescued from Eric's (someday mine) apartment. Today I bought tensile and little bells. I'd rather not add to the local landfill but this way I can still enjoy the Christmas spirit. Tomorrow is my visit from the PC COD office. Given that my Cp is not going to be here and I don't have an apt to let them inspect, this should be interesting.

No comments: