Thursday, December 13, 2007

Random

Several days have past since my last post and so much has happened. Tuesday was a day for the Peace Corps COD department to visit. We spent about an hour going over the projects I have been working on and my interaction within the office and the municipality. Later we met with the Mayor and Vice Mayor of Karlovo. This was interesting. There was an obvious power structure in the room and expectations on how that would be applied in communicating to one another. My COD rep and I through that out the window. This almost gave the my department head a stroke. We were there to talk with the leadership not to play games of who has more power then the next. The Vice Mayor has worked with the Peace Corps for several years now. I feel comfortable to go to him with my project ideas. He told me his office will always be open for me.

After this we visited my soon to be or someday apartment. The municipality claims that they will start working on it this upcoming Monday but only time will tell. I hope to move in shortly after the new year. I like having a roommate but it is about time for me to have my own place and space to call my own. Tuesday evening I met with three members of the local youth organization and we had coffee in their favorite Cafe. After this we went for pizza and a quick walk. While ordering my pizza the woman behind the counter started speaking English with me. I smiled as did she. I have seen her before. Maybe this means she feels comfortable to speak with me even with limited English language abilities.

Yesterday was a bit of a random adventure. I had a medical appointment in Sofia, 3 hrs from my site. When I got onto the bus, a man sat on the other side across from me. About 5 minutes later he began to make horrible loud noises as if he was snoring but much worse then I could ever imagine. Within minutes he was foaming at the mouth and the noise continued. The bus driver didn't seem to know which number to call for help and the other passengers didn't seem to want to be involved only to leave. Finally one passenger did call and after 15 + minutes the ambulance did arrive. By this time the man was no longer breathing. This didnt affect me the way I thought watching someone die would. Instead of being freaked out I actually decided to make sure this didnt happen again. I want to make sure that the appropriate emergency numbers are available in all public transport and public places. Maybe even have the information given in schools and small information cards given away at the police station.


When I arrived this morning I had a Christmas card waiting for me from my cousin Ashley and her husband Tom. It had a cute picture of the two of them and their dogs. It was so nice to receive something from home for Christmas. I hope to be getting some packages soon ; ) Tonight is our municipality Christmas party. It should be fun. Everyone will be dressed up and drinking some adult beverages. A woman just walked into my office wanting to begin a project that would fund the local Kindergarten to purchase new furniture for the the school. I look forward to the project ideas I am receiving becoming more realistic. In time!

"When you love someone you are no longer alone."
-Unknown

No comments: