Sunday, December 9, 2007

Starting to Integrate!



Well Folks I did it. Saturday was beautiful and busy here in Karlovo. Saturday is our market day and everyone was out and about shopping for goods and Christmas gifts. I had an early language session. This allowed me to spend the rest of the day running errands and actually being productive. I went to my typical stores at the market and then went over to the outdoor pazar. It was here that I met Baba Tsvetina. She could tell my bulgarian skills were not up to par and proceeded to ask me where I was from, why I was here and why I was buying something from here that was made for a guy. She was so impressed with a young American coming over to Bulgaria, learning the language and the fact that I was buying some of her goods helped also. I plan to visit her on a regular basis. After this I went to my regular magazine where the same store clerk was working that I always see. She finally asked me where I was from and we spoke a little about me working at the Municipality and how I spendt several months studding Bulgarian before coming to Karlovo. Wow, it felt really good to meet some new people.

I have been very anxious to meet more people in my building at work. I baked several dozen cookies and will be taking them in on Monday. They turned out really well. Oatmeal cookies with chocolate. Mmmmm. I gave some to our land lady. She seemed to like them so maybe this will work well.

Last night was spent with the kids from the Youth Parliament. It was a good time as always. I do have to mention the bulgarian boy who attempted to pick me up. He was asking one of the boys in my group if the "American girl" wanted to come talk to him. I said that boys come to me, not the other way around. He replied that in Karlovo, the girls go to him.....I quickly replied that "Az sum ne ot Karlovo" - " I am not from Karlovo." Everyone laughed and enjoyed seeing a girl put a pumpus young man in his place.

Today was very nice also. I had company from a fellow PCV. We took a nice walk around my town and visited the scenic waterfalls and nature trails. We went for lunch at Edno Vreme - Once upon a time. A great little restuarant not far from my apt. I visited my apt that is in the process of being remoddled to pick up plants that had been left there. I wanted to water them. It was a little rainy and cold but a fantastic Sunday nun the less. Back to work tomorrow. Busy week ahead. Take care.

No comments: