Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Rainy day in the Neighborhood


I didn't think I would be writing another blog so soon but today was eventful. As per usual the women in my office gasped when I revealed I was not wearing boots or a long sleeve shirt. Our office may be cold at times but I should make it thought the winter with my current wardrobe. Early this morning a woman and man from Soput (the neighboring town) came to discuss using the SEC film I created for the sustainability conference tomorrow in Sofia. The municipality leadership is still in the process of deciding who will attend this. How about the people who worked on it?

Tomorrow is also the day of the Volunteer. Last week, Eric (previous volunteer), Roger (my site mate and current roommate) and I had two interviews. One interview was with the local radio station and the other was with the local newspaper. Each interview was to discuss what each of us has or plans to contribute as a volunteer in Karlovo. I will go and buy a newspaper and send a copy of the article to my mom. "Hey mom, look at me....They put the American in the newspaper."

Today I had an informal language session with my Bulgarian tutor. Her husband has just returned from Iraq and she brought him along for me to talk to and make it more of a social situation. He son was also there. We didn't get much accomplished.......hes a little bit ornery. I did meet her husbands brother who lives here in Karlovo. After my lesson I was taken back to the Municipality building to continue with work. When I arrived the Chairman of the municipal council was also coming in the door. He saw that I was locked out of my office and offered to have me come into his. I had met him previously last week. Very nice man who is interested in speaking with me informally to improve his English and help me improve my Bulgarian skills. He and I spoke for about 30 min about university, family, learning and speaking different languages and what he does for the municipality. These type of conversations help with gaining more confidence when using Bulgarian. I plan on baking some goodies for him and the women in the architectural office. It cant hurt! My counterpart's job may be a little unstable so I am attempting to meet as many people in the building who later will serve as contacts and sources of assistance for future projects.

I went to our local stole for lunch (like a mess hall or cafeteria from the Communist period) with Roger. After we attended the Youth Parliament meeting to discuss their annual program for 2008. Many activities, some of which include integration between the youth in Karlovo and the local Mahala (Roma Community). Roger and I wish to put a good deal of effort into educating them on human trafficking and having them give presentations to local communities and villages in and outside of the Municipality.

After walking around in the nasty cold rain today I will be going with my counterpart to buy some boots. I have some but I want another pair :) . Last time I attempted to buy some here in Karlovo the woman waiting on me tended to be less then interested. Having her along should make it a bit easier. OK some gentleman just walked into the office and wants to talk to me. Do skoro!

No comments: